Thursday 17 November 2011

The Chorus

To give you a little encouragement I've decided to give it a try and write about a movie too:

Recently I saw a French film of a few years ago, which I somehow never got round to seeing before. Its title in English is The Chorus, and the original is Les choristes. Perhaps you know it?
It is a story of a failed musician who tries to begin a new career as a teacher. His first job is a tough one - he arrives at a provincial boarding school for troublemakers, all boys, and struggles with the school's very strict and narrow-minded principal, as well as with the boys' numerous problems and crises. He does find a way to reach them, and that is - as the title clearly indicates - through music. Fortunately, it is neither a tragedy nor a comedy, just a convincing story of a devoted, kind man who wanted to make a difference. Although there have been quite a few films with a similar theme (including the American-made box-office hit Dead Poets Society), this one stands out as less sentimental and a bit more insightful. I admit some characters are too black-and-white and stereotyped, but on the whole the story struck the right note with me and moved me deeply. If you haven't seen the film yet, I strongly recommend it to you.

1 comment:

  1. I do not like watching the same film several times, but ths one I have already seen seven times ! and I am sure I will watch it again !
    One of my bests films ever seen ;)

    ReplyDelete