Wednesday 23 November 2011

In French this time :)

I've just found out that François Busnel of France 5, a TV channel you probably know, made an interview with my favorite writer - Philip Roth. Unfortunately I cannot understand much of it because of the French translation ;) but I hope it's worth listening to. Perhaps you'll find it interesting? It seems some of it links well with our current topic - lifestyle. At the beginning of the interview Roth discusses living in his two different residences -  the 18th century farmhouse in Warren, Connecticut, and his apartment in New York.
I would be grateful if you could summarize the interview for me in class (in English of course).
Philip Roth's writing has caused a lot of controversy over the years of his long and prolific career, but some of his literary ideas are absolutely brilliant, and he implements them with perfect mastery. What I love most of all about his writing, however, is his English - so rich and powerful that sometimes I just need to pause my reading for a few seconds to let it sink in. My favorite books by Roth include Counterlife and The Human Stain - quite different from each other, but equally gripping. Nemesis, published only last year, is also one of the best. 


3 comments:

  1. I've already done a transription. I'll try to summarize it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. to tell the truth I've never heard about him, but he seems to be a very interesting person, whose experience can udoubtedly teach the young people a lot of important things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Iza - can't wait to hear it! :) For years he has been America's number one candidate for the Nobel prize in literature, but will probably never get it for political reasons. More about it here. Anyway, I'm glad he got your attention :)

    ReplyDelete